Monday, December 13, 2010

2010.12.13 Monday

Ah, a Monday. Hmmph.

After work, I got to work on vacuuming my room, and cleaning my bathroom. I also picked up some around my room, but didn't spend too much time on that because I knew I was going to end up making a mess later anyways.

Cleaned up in the kitchen. I am still under the impression that colanders and pots take up too much space in the dishwasher, so I hand wash them. The pots are usually easy because they are non stick. So weird thing I've noticed, if there are dishes in the sink, people will add to the pile in the sink, even when the dishwasher is empty. But if the sink is empty, people will crack open the dishwasher to find space (typically speaking). I guess they are assuming the dishwasher is full.. and you know what they say about assuming. LOLZ

Cooked a grilled hot dog on the cast iron skillet. Also cooked up some potatoes. I was originally planning on the potatoes to be "mashed", but they came out more like potato soup. Milk floweth fast.

Post dinner, I went back to my room to watch the rest of MNF and work on the guitar circuit I've been talking about for so long. I was able to verify some of the wiring and build a little part of the circuit.. everything looked good... applied power (with my awesome DC power supply).

HIGH PITCH WHINE... SIZZLE... FLAMES.

Oh sh*t. WHAT IS GOING ON? Capacitor just blew up in my face. That's weird, it doesn't smell that ba... oh there is the smell. Gross.

So what did I do wrong? Well people might say this is a common mistake. I put in an electrolytic capacitor with the leads reversed, or wrong polarity. Alright, so yes that was a pretty silly mistake. In my defense, I was using a military-grade electrolytic that doesn't have the standard (-) sign marking down an entire side. What does it have? A tiny tiny plus sign that is slightly closer to one lead than the other. I actually had two caps in the circuit, but I lucked out and the other one was installed correctly.

Now the bread board has a burnt spot. Hooray. I also get to sleep in a room that smells like terrible burnt electronics. Hooray!

1 comment:

Kelcey said...

I always put my dirty dishes in your sink because I don't know your method of determining if the dishwasher is clean or dirty.