Thursday, February 10, 2011

2011.02.09 Wednesday

Woke up groggy today. But I was able to get myself ready to go relatively quickly, as was Hasbro. Kelc on the other hand... wanted to sleep in.

Work happened. Nothing too exciting to talk about. Lunch was a salad and popcorn (since it was movie day at the cafeteria).

Went home, took care of a few things, then off to Kelc's. From her place, we left to drive all the way over to the 620/71 galleria. There they have a very large Twin Liquors. I picked up some very specific wine options. Merkin Chupacabra, a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Petit Verdot, and Petit Syrah. Other Merkin wines are usually made from Arizona grapes, but this is an exception from California. I actually picked up the last bottle, as the next batch should be coming out this spring. The second bottle I picked up is an Arizona Stronghold Mangus, a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Sangiovese, and Merlot. This one I was particularly interested in trying out. The third and final wine is an Arizona Stronghold Nachise, a blend of Syrah, Grenache, Petite Sirah, and Mourverdre. The wine guy at Twin Liquors says the Nachise is actually one he enjoyed a lot; said to cook up some couscous and lamb to go with it for a wonderful evening. Will do sir, will do.

On the way home, we stopped by Two Hot Mamas Grill for some burritos. Interesting place, and interesting way of filling up their food/customers. Slightly pricey, but good ingredients. I'll probably try it again whenever I'm in the area.

Back at Kelc's place, we popped in the blu-ray of Deliverance. Around the 30 minute mark, the plot still had no direction. If you combine that and my level of tiredness, it makes sense that I fell asleep. So I have a tendency to be critical about movies, just something I do. One thing that bugged me about this movie in particular is the sound. They either didn't match up the audio for the blu-ray edition, or the original sound from the movie was really just bad studio audio overlaying the movie. I think this wouldn't have been a huge problem if they got to the some plot or storyline sooner, but since I had nothing interesting to follow, the lack of audio-sync just kept jumping out at me. Also something to consider is that this was released in the early 70s, so it's not exactly fair to be so critical of the small stuff.

After watching a chunk of the beginning and the chunk of the end, then having been filled in with the remainder of the story, the story wasn't actually that bad. After thinking about it some, I think it's kind of cool that this is a far-fetched story that could actually happen (unlike just about everything in the theaters today, which is super-heroes and futuristic impossibilities). Since the story is a possibility, you really get to see how the actor portrayed someone going through these circumstances, and seeing how that affected them. It's almost more about getting into the minds of the characters and understanding what they are experiencing.

So I have mixed feelings about a movie a half watched. Oh well.

Went home. Fast asleep.

No comments: