Friday, January 12, 2024

The choice is yours.

My high school principal would give us this tidbit to think about every time he did morning announcements over the PA system: "Have a great day, or not, the choice is yours."  I was very much not awake for something so deep.  I think about it from time to time, and usually it makes me think about how something significant in-the-moment can seem so insignificant weeks, months, or years later.  Time really is the great equalizer.

It also makes me think how us millennials grew up with D.A.R.E. (a statistically questionable drug program targeting youth), and the onslaught of media and emphasis about how the youth were going to solve all the problems and pollution issues in of the world. (Captain Planet? Reduce/Reuse/Recycle? Oil bad. Save the animals. Only you can prevent forest fires.)  I feel cynical saying this, but it does seem kind of messed up to put that much responsibility on children, let alone promoting lies just backed by good intentions.  At least Gen X was left alone and forgotten about, being latchkey kids and all.

*sigh*

The other thing it makes me think of is that last 90s 7-UP ad campaign (one) (two) (three) :)


 


No comments: